The Writing Studio
Welcome to The Susan Wingate Writing Studio
Susan’s studio is set smack in the heart of a creative vortex where time fades. You start writing and, hours later, find yourself finishing another chapter to another novel.
THE WRITERS RETREAT
Writers are encouraged to submit writing samples for acceptance to a week-long retreat during fair week (arriving Sunday, August 16th, departing Sunday, August 22nd), the summer of 2020.
How to Apply for a Week-long Free Single-Person Writing Residency
The submission process. If accepted, you will be invited to write within the lush woods where the studio is located, snuggled deep inside Douglas fir, alders, willow on beautiful San Juan Island. Don’t be surprised to find a few deer blessing the place with their calm, grace, and beauty.
Each resident must “give back” by spending no fewer than 1 hour a day gardening or landscaping.
Submit the Following for Consideration
- Entry Page Count: Up to 10, double-spaced pages of creative writing whether fiction or nonfiction (memoir, travel, essay-no technical writing), and poetry (up to 3 single-spaced pages)
- Font: 12Pt, Times New Roman
- Format: For fiction and nonfiction, use the industry’s Standard MS Format. For poetry, be creative but please number your pages with your name and the poem’s title at the bottom center.
- Cover letter: Include your name, address, phone, email address, short 50- to 100-word bio, and a short note explaining why you are interested in a free, week-long stay at the retreat.
- Amenities Include: Onsite: Snacks, coffee, tea, and bottled water, potable well water, microwave, coffee maker, electric stove, dishwasher, kitchen and bath soap, a fenced-in yard, parking, and outside sitting. Offsite: nearby sandy beaches and walking trails, nearby laundromat, stores and restaurants, wildlife cruises, kayaking, and zip lines.
- What is Single-person Occupancy? This means that only one writer at a time will be accepted to the residency. The retreat is intended for writers to come and commune with nature and to concentrate on their craft.
- Requirements: (1) US or Canadian citizens only, (2) must have transportation to and from the studio which is approximately 5.5 miles from the ferry landing, (3) no shoes inside the studio-it rains often and we want to reduce muddy feet issues.
***Transportation, laundry, TV, and food (other than some dry snacks) are NOT included. Internet is sketchy. Taxis are available. And sorry, no pets allowed.***
PLEASE FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS WITH CARE
Submit Your Work by sending an email with the Subject Line reading: 2020 WINGATE WRITERS RESIDENCY. Paste your cover letter within the email. Attach a WORD DOCUMENT (doc or docx) to the email. If the subject line is not correct, your emailed submission will be deleted unread. Send to [email protected]
INTERESTED IN A WEEKEND STAY DURING THE SUMMER SEASON ON SAN JUAN ISLAND?
The Susan Wingate Writing Retreat will be available Fridays and Saturdays (departing Sundays) beginning May 23rd & 24th, 2020 and ending September 5th & 6th for $125/day. Please contact Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
WRITER WORKSHOPS TAUGHT BY AMAZON BESTSELLER AND AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR, SUSAN WINGATE
If you’re interested in writing instruction taught by an Amazon bestseller and award-winning author, then Susan Wingate is your gal. Not only is Susan an expert in writing fiction and memoir, in book promotion and publicity, and in the business of publishing but she sincerely cares about bolstering your chances of becoming a published author.
Please send Susan an email at [email protected] to get started.